Friday, July 6, 2012

In Praise of Kind Words




     Here's a nifty idea that can help you connect with members of your family. I originally saw this on Pinterest, but there are many examples on crafty websites.  I got a blank picture frame and used leftover scrap booking letters to spell "I love you because" on a blank piece of paper. When you want to write a note, you simply use a dry erase marker and write on the glass.   I hung this little masterpiece on the wall by my husband's side of the sink.  We leave each messages of encouragement whenever we feel like it or when the other person needs a boost.  Frankly, I didn't think my husband would like it. ( He is a loving and honest person but definitely not sappy).  However, as has happened before on occasion, I was wrong.  Indeed, he liked it very much!
    We currently have our nephews visiting us.  He knows I value being a loving aunt and he knows how much I love these kids.  I was very affirmed because his simple comment illustrates our common values.  He has always been someone to put children, the elderly and those who work for him,  first.  For him,  this is one of the keys to being a leader and being a man.
     I think this would be a fun activity for families with school age children too. My teenager wants no part of this " touchy-feely"  nonsense.  That' fine.  It's been a blessing for us "old fogies."

"An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up." Proverbs 12:25

1 comment:

  1. I love you because.....you are expressive and insightful and it gives the rest of us something to think about!

    ReplyDelete