Monday, June 3, 2013

Just Like a Geranium

    It's spring in the mountains of Utah.  Yesterday I spent the afternoon planting flowers.  It was 79 F,  sunny,  and heavenly.   Spring and summer are God's gifts for weathering the winter months.   No more shoveling, no more scraping and no more warming up the car.  It was time for a change and I am grateful.
     I have some window boxes along the side of the house.  I decided to fill them with geraniums.  Geraniums are fairly hardy and can weather the cool evenings.  I chose white, coral and light pink.  Before I transferred the flowers, I pulled the dead blooms and leaves off.  When you pull the dead bits off, the water and nutrition is channeled to the core of the plant; the plant is healthier and more vibrant.  I planted them and gave them some transplant food.  It was peaceful sitting in the grass working with the flowers.  When the trees rustled in the breeze, it reminded me of the talking trees in C.S. Lewis' Narnia.  I always feel closer to God when I'm outside in nature.  I began thinking about the ways He has trimmed my dead leaves and helped me grow this year.

I am no different than my geraniums

Freshly trimmed and planted geraniums


     In John 15, Jesus says, "I am the true vine and my Father is the Gardener.  He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful."  This year has been one of  rigorous pruning.  Instead of having extra, we have learned to cut back and live on my husband's pension.  Though difficult to admit, I was in serious need of a pruning in the area of material goods and money.  Many things I thought I "needed" were merely things I wanted.
      The Lord meets us where we are.  He gives us the right challenges at the perfect time.  In areas where I was already strong, I became even more so.  I seemed to have more patience for my teenager than I ever thought possible.  The "fruit" I bore in this area increased tenfold in my son's growing independence and kindness.  My heart overflows with gratitude for God's grace.   Psalms 119: 105 reminds me " Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path."  I am pruned and back on my path.   Be blessed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment