Thursday, October 24, 2013

Thoughts on Tree Trimming




Seriously, my husband loves that new chainsaw.
      My husband is trimming trees in anticipation of the snow.  The last thing we need is a snow laden branch crashing onto the new roof. My job is to tidy up all the branches. We plan to coordinate a debris burn with the local fire department. All this trimming and hauling got me thinking about the organic metaphors in John 15.
     John 15:1-2 states, " I am the true vine and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes."  When I read this my first thought is:  I feel pruned enough, can we stop now?  The last year and half have literally brought me to my knees.  I am ready to do whatever God wants.  So,  I am hoping I can move onto verse 7:   "If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you."  Because Lord, I am not even asking for a job for my husband anymore.  I am praying for his highest spiritual good and whatever will serve your purpose. Amen.
    The branch pile is big.  Sweet Jesus, I hope I don't have that much debris in my soul...I don't have enough lifetime left to clear it! I do like the metaphor of clearing out though.  If we clear out the dead wood maybe we leave room for the Holy Spirit to create something new and beautiful.  I can't be sure, but that's my metaphor for today. Peace to you.


John 15:6: "If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers."

No comments:

Post a Comment