Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Butterflies Don't Bite

Butterflies don't bite
Celosia




   As I pulled up to the entrance, I was immediately delighted by the view. Arches of morning glories, rings of soft pink and cream roses, stalks of fuchsia celosia and a wall of bamboo were immediately visible. I grabbed my sun hat and camera and set off to explore the Antique Rose Emporium in Brenham, Texas.
     The property is divided into garden areas that complement the structures. The first little cabin is surrounded by plants and flowers that attract butterflies.
Nearby there is a pond trimmed by bamboo and brimming with hot pink lotus flowers.
A sweet frog statue sits at the edge of the pond contemplating the scene. St Francis oversees a perennial garden and roses and vivid brimming borders lead up to a church and event venue.

     There are herbs, annuals, perennials and of course, roses for sale. The variety of color and scents is dizzying. Who knew there was a Hot Chocolate rose or a Julia Child rose? The aromas of the roses range from none to heavily perfumed, with touches of lemon, musk, honey and herb in- between.



I learned a lot and enjoyed getting ideas for my own gardens. The use of garden statues here is understated and clever. Every area has charm and balance.
Whimsical use of succulent plants!
I spent 3 hours ambling about taking photos and chatting with staff about plants and roses. Everything was idyllic until I tried to get a photo of a pale pink rose. I became Sunday brunch for feisty fire ants.
     I was tempted to drop my jeans on the path, but I did not. Before I could brush them off, several angry ants bit me through my jeans! I got them off and  shook out my socks and shoes, but a few stray friends bit me on my upper left arm. The bites began to swell; my pleasant garden time was done. I needed Benadryl and some hydro-cortisone cream. I headed home.
     Yet not even my itchy arm could diminish the joy I found in the gardens. The masses of butterflies are glorious, moving rainbows.  The medleys of flowers gave me numerous ideas for color and texture combinations. Finally, the knowledgeable gardeners were kindly guides to my Texas Eden.  Get outside. Insects may bite, the rain may fall, but God's creation is ever glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment