Thursday, December 14, 2017

Bloom





     The rustiest, oldest ones are the most interesting. You can plant flowers in fine pottery; they always look fancy there. Or you can re use and re purpose items and scatter a bit of whimsy around the garden. Succulents and flowers can find a fresh home in old tea kettles, rain boots and even flour sifters. I found a set of old wash tubs that I plan to sand, seal and repaint. I am currently mulling over color combinations; turquoise is currently in the lead. I'll keep one side for a medley of plants and one side for frosty beverages.
     People are containers too. The vessel of our physical body is the temporary home for our eternal soul. If we are honest, we can't tell a lot by the exterior alone. A pleasant expression and beautiful outside may contain a beautiful spirit, but not always. Yet a beautiful spirit glows outward imparting  a warmth and energy that is hard to pin down. Audrey Hepburn wrote, " The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides."
     Working in retail, I help woman pick out clothes all day. But the biggest hurdle to this process is their own perception of their exterior. " My bust is too big." "My arms are too fat." " I don't want to stand out." I hear comments like these constantly. I say, " Nonsense." They often don't believe me. I want to hug them and tell them that those arms have cradled babies and worked ranches. Those arms have wrought a miracle or two to date with more miracles on the way. Women are hard on themselves; I don't know why. I am guilty of it myself. Indie Arie sings "I know my creator didn't make no mistakes on me." She's right. This holds true for both men and women.
     You can have the most elaborate flower pot, but it has to be complemented by just the right bloom and texture. People too. Let's work on the inside and let the spirit illuminate the exterior. Don't contain yourself, bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment