Thursday, February 22, 2018

Growing Roots



     My favorite ivy is a Glacier Ivy. It is a hardy, drought tolerant plant with cascading arms of  airy green and white variegated leaves.  This plant is a splendid choice for hanging baskets and decorative, spilling containers. Why not root more of my favorite ivy?

    So with my head swimming in dreams of an ivy laced porch, I began my work. I cut the ivy back and chose some choice pieces to root. I trimmed off some leaves and placed the cuttings in a mason jar with water. My research says roots should appear in 3-4 weeks. At that time, I will transplant them to a stone container that looks like a face;the ivy will be lush locks for my garden guardian.


  

   Rooting is not a difficult process, the cuts should be made with a clean, sharp tool, the leaves should be trimmed so they don't dip in the water and the water should be clean. The  same is true if we want to root ourselves in Spirit. The tools we choose for spiritual growth should be free of ego debris and agenda. Spiritual growth comes from meditation, prayer and willingness to change.  Different plants need different environments to flourish. People are the same. Some may grow in a crowded place, others need more space. My cuttings are developing roots long before my eye can see the change. People are the same.
     My favorite yoga studio does not have mirrors. There is no external way to check alignment or compare yourself to others. As you practice, you can gaze out at God's collage of reaching trees and sheltering sky or you can look inward at your own heart where the same Spirit rests and roots begin. Real movement starts on the inside and works out.
      Rooting reminds me that unseen forces are always present. Love is always present. Amelia Earhart said, "A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions and the roots spring up and make new trees." The question is not "Will we root ourselves?" The question is how.



No comments:

Post a Comment