Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Learning To Float




     Texas is a country unto itself; it was a republic from 1836 to 1846. Texas is larger than life in many ways. It's geography is sprawling, its culture is unique and its wildflowers are dazzling. Spring in Texas is about the unfurling of blankets of wildflowers. Ordinary meadows, gas station corners, and abandoned lots gleam with stalks of lapis stars, flaming spikes and pink orbs.
Texas bluebonnets
   
Indian paintbrush

Mountain primrose
     I planted wildflowers this year. You never know what will come up. They are wild, and they are finicky, and they come up as they choose. They don't have the predictability of a planned garden, but they bring a burst of color and texture. I had one fuchsia wildflower that lasted only a short time. Like a sunset on a stem, it was brief but memorable. If gardening has taught me anything, it has taught me to become more comfortable with surprises.
     People often think the  unknown means something bad. What if it means something better than you can imagine? The unknown can mean possibility and growth.  I tried a water aerobics class this week. It was fun to jump and play in the water. It made me remember the fun of being a kid. I felt silly, weightless and happy.  I used to pretend that I was a mermaid or a deep sea diver.
What qualities did I admire in these pursuits? I appreciate the unique beauty and independence of mermaids. I respect the curiosity and skill of divers. I want to cultivate these traits in myself.
     Back in the pool, we did some kicks with the pool noodles. The instructor said, "Don't be afraid to move, you are in a  pool, you will move and you will float." It's time for me to make peace with uncertainty. It's never too late to float.




No comments:

Post a Comment