Tuesday, August 14, 2012

If The Shoe Fits, Wear It

    Every so often I have the immeasurable pleasure of discovering an author who is new to me.  Swedish writer, Henning Mankell is my recent find.  His comments were on the back of a Swedish detective series I'd started.  He loved the Martin Beck series, as do I, and I thought,  "Hmm, who is this Henning Mankell?"  He's written detective/suspense novels as well, but I chose to start with a straightforward novel,  The Italian Shoes.
     This work looks at the life of a surgeon who made a tragic mistake.  The novel recounts his reaction and his unpredictable, and stunning, redemption.  The characters are artfully drawn without being overly descriptive.  Mankell's use of metaphor is apt and sparing;  this makes their use powerful. When his pet dies he carries it and remarks on the weight,  he says, "  The dead are always heavy."  This line made me stop short and stop  reading.  The dead are heavy physically but they are heavy in so many ways. The storytelling has symmetry. The careful reader will appreciate the author's use of color and detail.   Mr. Mankell  is a craftsman.
     Who among us isn't in need of redemption, or at least clarity?  The main character's life takes unexpected, healing twists of growth.  His path is not an easy one, but it is there.  For me this story is one of hope.  There is always the opportunity for change, but the first steps are internal and unseen.  Change begins with your intention and your willingness to see things differently.  I realized this today when I was visiting  the naturopath.  Healing is not simply about balancing the physical body.  I've realized that healing is not just fixing my thyroid and losing weight.  In my case, healing means bringing the physical and spiritual into alignment.  It means accepting, as noted in Buddhism, things are always changing.  Peace is not being without conflict or affliction.   An unknown author phrased this so elegantly:  " Peace.  It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work.  It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  Here lies the challenge:  No matter what your belief system or religion, do you believe that good is stronger?  Do you believe that despite our frailty and imperfection,  we are worthy of redemption?  Henning Mankell believes so, and I agree.  I say that it's time to try our highest selves on for size.  We have nothing to lose and a world of connection and peace to gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment