Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Wise Gardener

    This weekend Pastor Scott Fine (Mountain Life Church)  centered his sermon around the following quote:  "Do not be deceived:  God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows." (Galatians 6:7)  The remarks touched on different ways we can flourish:  reading scripture and really integrating it into our lives,  acting with intention and keeping like minded company were a few of his points.   The Bible is rich in agricultural and gardening metaphors and since I spent all of yesterday working in the yard,  it gave me time to think.
     The front of my house is shaded while the back is a sun filled meadow.  We live at 7500 feet above sea level and get lots of snow so these are all factors that the wise gardener must consider.  Shade loving plants thrive in the cool of the front porch whereas the meadow welcomes sun worshipers.  Hmm.  People are similar.  We all have the capacity to flourish  yet we need different environments. We all have unique lessons to learn.
       As I cleared the dead leaves in the front flower bed I was thinking that it would help the plants breathe easier.  God does the very same for us. " He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful." (John 15:2)  When you take the dead branches and blooms off a plant, it allows the nutrition to go to the parts of the plant that are still vital and alive. I believe God gives us situations for our highest good.  I will admit that there have been times that I have questioned the wisdom of the Almighty.  However, I know my doubt is a product of my own short-sightedness.  I cannot see the big  picture until events have played themselves out.  Proverb 3:5-6 states: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;  In all your ways acknowledge Him and he will make your paths straight."
     Jesus calls us to go and bear fruit (John 15: 16) and he gives the command: " Love each other."  He did not say love those who are easy to love, love those you agree with,  or love those who love you.  He meant everyone.  As Pastor Andy Stanley (Northpoint Community Church, Alpharetta , GA) said, "How dare we unlove someone?"   God knows the recesses of our souls.  He gives us people and experiences that open our hearts and shine light in every corner.  He truly is the Wise Gardener.   May you flourish.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment