Monday, February 24, 2014

Gospel Girl

    I stood at the podium. I had practiced and I was ready. One of my dearest friends asked me to read the Gospel at a service celebrating her 18 years in ministry. Growing up Catholic, priests and deacons read the Gospel. I never witnessed a woman reading the Gospel as a girl. As an adult, I saw a nun read the gospel and distribute the already consecrated host at a tiny country church.  But that's it.
He leads me beside quiet waters. (Psalm 23:2)
     I understand the cultural and historical ideas on priesthood. I get it. The Bible shows us a patriarchal culture and Jesus was a man. But I ask you this: Does a soul have gender? I don't think it does. I think organized religions have power and I think human beings like power.
     When I spoke the words of Christ from the podium, I felt reverent. I felt honored. I felt awed.  I don't believe the God of the Universe sees gender or any other earthly characteristics. I believe he sees past our hearts and into the very corners of our souls. My God is not offended when I read His words. I feel His presence and it feels right in my soul. How can I be silent when I know all the amazing things he has done? Your spirit links you to God. It is the divine spark in you. Rendering Him honor is a privilege that belongs to all His children. Worship according to your own heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment