Friday, February 7, 2014

It's in the Cards

     The envelope was heavy. I opened it and slid the card out. It was a whimsical Easter card. Yellow, lavender and pink eggs were being painted by Easter bunnies.  It was bright, cheery and studded with a dollars worth of dimes! When I was a little girl I loved getting mail. Is still do.  My Aunt Mary lived in New York, but she sent holiday cards to Georgia throughout my childhood.
This is just like the cards I remember! The dimes would go in slots in the little hearts.
     While e-mails and texts are nice, cards are better. When you receive a card, you know someone picked it out for you. They took the time to choose a design and sentiment that reminded them of you in particular. Cards are tangible symbols of thoughtfulness and regard. It's a lovely thing to put a card on your desk, dresser or even a window ledge. When I receive cards, I line them up along the window in my kitchen. When I cook, wash dishes or simply drink coffee, I am reminded of faraway friends and loved ones.
     Aunt Mary passed away last month. She was a holiday kind of gal. She loved parties, decorations, people and cards. I just sent Valentines to my nieces and nephews and it made me think of my aunt. I was planning to send her Valentines chocolates in a beautiful box; she was a person that appreciated packaging and presentation.  Instead, I will focus on giving to others this year in the hope that I can be just a little like her.
Go ahead, get busy!
     My Aunt taught me that a card is much more than a piece of paper. It can be a  heart link to people near and far. Some old fashioned practices have timeless merit. Take the time to write a note or choose the perfect card. You have the power to delight and surprise right at your fingertips.

No comments:

Post a Comment