Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Fishing in The Dark

     I have been reading the book "Luke for Everyone" by N.T. Wright. Luke 5:1-11 captivated me. Bishop Wright's comments are thought provoking. He writes about Peter's realization of Jesus' holiness and how the apostles follow Jesus to become "fishers of men." Mr Wright notes that "when Jesus calls, he certainly does demand everything, but only because he has already given everything himself and has plans in store for us and the world that we would never have dreamed of." I love the imagery of this story and when I read it the second time, I realized something startling.
Fishing in the light of day.

     Jesus stood on the shore in broad daylight and told the men, "Put into the deeper part and let down your nets for a catch." Though hesitant due to a futile night of fishing, the fishermen did as Jesus asked. When they retrieved the nets, they were stretched to the breaking point. In fact, their companions came to help and "filled both boats, and they began to sink." (Luke 5:7) N. T. Wright talks of fishing in this area and he confirms that the best fishing is often at night. But not with Jesus, and this is what takes my breath away.
     When Jesus stood on the shore, the best fishing was by the light of day. "In him was life, and that life was the light of men." (John 1:4) 1 John 5-6 explains "God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to walk with him, yet walk in darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth." The Miraculous Catch of Fish is powerful as metaphor and literal example. If I follow Christ, I will walk in the light. His radiance is part and parcel of the Holy Trinity, one in substance and undivided.
      Light vanquishes darkness. If I could remember this, I would waste less time on worry and spend more time being productive and grateful. Edith Wharton wrote: "There are two ways of spreading light: To be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." On good days, grace allows me to be the candle. Other days, being a mirror is all I can muster. When you're a mirror, it's important to choose what you're reflecting. Am I reflecting an image that I believe others want? Or am I taking my Christianity seriously and living the way Jesus did? 

No comments:

Post a Comment