Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Faith is Like a Mustard Seed

The humble mustard seed is indeed small.
     I just finished reading"He Leadeth Me" by Fr. Walter J. Ciszek, SJ;  This book is at once humbling and inspiring.  Father Ciszek details his 23 year tenure as a prisoner in the former Soviet Union.  Most importantly, this book is an honest telling of his interior, spiritual journey.
Calling all angels:   I need support!
     Father Walter spent his first 5 years in the dreaded prison, Lubianka.  In Lubianka, he came face to face  with heart wrenching loneliness.  His description of solitary confinement  is only surpassed by his searing telling of  his own brokenness and final reliance on God alone.   When he realizes that he has been trying to manage his interrogations, he has a breakthrough.  He writes, " God's will was not hidden somewhere "out there" in situations in which I found myself; the situations themselves WERE his will for me.  What he wanted was for me to accept these situations as from his hands, to let go of the reins and place myself entirely at his disposal."   I am awestruck by this realization and the context in which it crystallized.  Father was pushed to the edge and he sought the Heavenly Father.  Can I seriously do less in my life?  I should hope not.
     Father's comments on humility are especially meaningful.  He defines humility as the "realization of one's place before God."  In this light our burdens are the will of God entrusted to us at any given moment.  These words struck me in a deep and timely way.   Mental health issues with my son are not merely burdens set out to break me.  They are challenges that will lead my growth.  Many times I have joked that " God doesn't call the qualified; He qualifies the called."  This is certainly true in my case.
       Christ assures us in Matthew 17:20 "If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain 'move from here to there' and it will move.  Nothing will be impossible for you."  The Lord anticipated our weakness and offers us encouragement.  Perhaps, my problem has not been my burdens.  Maybe it has been self reliance.  Father Ciszek hoped his book would encourage others.  It has.  Thank you, Father.


You can buy mustard seed, but faith requires relinquishing your ideas of how things should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment