Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Spirit and the Deer

A favorite napping spot.

      My first summer in the mountains was a beautiful one.  Wild flowers filled the pasture and the weather was perfect, 70F in the day and 50 F at night.  Sometimes when I was home alone, I felt like there was somebody nearby.  There was.  Two mule deer came and napped under the trees for four or five hours every day.  They were so gentle, beautiful  and quiet.  I simply enjoyed their presence.  Since this Sunday is Pentecost,  the Feast of the Holy Spirit, I realized some parallels with my deer friends.
      Since we have the gift of the Holy Spirit, we are never really alone. When we are prompted to good works, despite our ego, that's the Holy Spirit. When we are struck by natural beauty, that's the Holy Spirit.  Just because we don't see the Holy Spirit doesn't me he isn't with us.  When my deer visited, I felt their presence before I saw them.  With the Holy Spirit we doesn't see with our eyes, but we can feel it in our hearts.
     In John 14: 17-18 Jesus speaks of the Holy Spirit, "The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him or knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you."  I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you."    I believe this and yet, I often forget it.   I would like to be quiet and rest in Jesus' assurance like the deer rest in my meadow.  The gifts of salvation and presence are already given.  My part is to be a grateful and attentive recipient.  Peace to you.

 
Summer visitors

No comments:

Post a Comment