Monday, May 20, 2013

The Great Tattoo Artist

     I recently saw a program called "America's Worst Tattoos".  The show was about people with horrible tattoos who hope to cover up or create something beautiful from them.  The featured artists were truly gifted and were able to turn sad ink into beauty.  One artist took a wretched, red merman with unintended breasts and turned him into a gorgeous, bejeweled circus elephant.  The art work was stunning.  This got me thinking about the wonders that God can create even when we present him with a mess.
    Ephesians 2:10 it states,"For we are God's masterpiece.  He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things He planned for us long ago."  We are each given gifts and free will. Even when we squander our gifts, or don't use them at all, God waits patiently to help us craft our highest self.  This is not a rushed God.  We may use our free will even to our great detriment.
Becky's Angel
     When I sit down at the easel, I have a general idea of what I am going to paint.  However, sometimes I change my idea or approach while working.  I love this part of the process.  I enjoy intuitive painting.  When I paint this way, the end product is often better than anything I had planned.   God already holds the pattern of your highest good.  For your learning and growth, the pattern is not revealed at once.  The colors and textures develop slowly.  New color combinations and their complimentary shades evolve over time.  It seems we can't get to the fullest expression of ourselves without the detours and missteps.  But just as the merman underpins the magnificent elephant, so our mistakes underpin our true nature.  It's a journey.  Be gentle with yourself.

Bright Spirit
     

No comments:

Post a Comment