Saturday, December 14, 2013

A Levitating Pear

     The existence of darkness is a classic theological and philosophical question.  I don't pretend to know the answer, but the other day I had an insight while looking at a drawing. I drew the picture below about 14 years ago.  My teacher unkindly, though accurately, titled it :"Levitating Pear". I dislike this picture and wanted to throw it away, but another student encouraged me to keep it and frame it so I could see where I started.
     The drawing is informative on several levels. There is a lack of gray scale or shading, thus the "levitating pear". The colors are not blended. The pear, in particular, would have benefited from a more delicate hand and a hearty spectrum of green yellows and yellow browns. The part I admire is the inner rim of the bowl where I've made an attempt to create some depth with shadow.


Levitating Pear


Portrait of Son
     The second drawing was done 9 years after the bowl of fruit. This portrait has depth.  A judicious use of shadow makes the hair stand up and gives the highlights movement. A careful use of shading enables the neck to hold the head in space and a delicate use of shadow and negative space allows the glasses to perch on the carefully shaded nose.  Using shadow makes a work more dimensional and captivating. It occurs to me, our souls are very much like art.
     If we are honest, we know that there is darkness and light in each of us.  Cultures the world over concede this.  There is the yin and yang of Chinese culture:  A black swirl fitted perfectly into a white one. Popular fiction echoes this duality too: the good side of the Force in Star Wars, the Lion in the works of C.S. Lewis. The concepts are not new, but they bear fresh examination.
     In art, darkness brings out the light. For me, light is the primary value.  Without light, there can never be color or nuance. It is much the same with our souls. It is how we deal with darkness that makes all the difference. Our own darkness can simply feed itself or spurn us to compassion and forgiveness. Light and love lead us to a higher self that we did not know before. Light brings a beauty and color that selfishness can never deliver.
     This time of year is dark in the mountains, but when the sun shines on the snow, it is like standing on a carpet of sparkly stars. Advent is a season of hope in a world that is sometimes quite dark. "This is the message we have heard and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all." (1 John: 5) Isiah 64:8 states that "we are the clay, you are the potter; we are the work of your hand." If God is the Great Artist, and He is Light, surely he can make a beautiful creation out of even our most tragic shortcomings? He can use our very darkness to highlight the good in us and in others.
     When I look at "Levitating Pear" I want to laugh or weep.  When I look at the portrait of my son, I see potential. I believe that a loving God knows our potential from the beginning. I can only hope that I make him laugh more often than I make him weep.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment