Monday, December 16, 2013

Those Who Ain't Afraid

     There's a line in the Joni Mitchell song, "A Case of You", that says "I'm frightened by the devil and I'm drawn to those ones that ain't afraid." I love this line. I think it really speaks to the value of community.  I draw strength from people who share my values.  For me these values are found at church, with military friends and with family. The people we associate with create our context.
     When you read something context is vital.  How much more vital is context when we live? When I attend church, I gather together with others who believe in something greater than themselves.  Worshiping together nourishes me for the week ahead.  Thinking about how to apply the scripture to my week makes the message, and my faith, relevant.
You can be the light or the mirror.
     My military friends share a bond of service and sacrifice.  Time spent away from our country and family draws us closer than some blood relatives. The will to do difficult things in the service of others is a common thread.  There is an understanding that the job is more than just a job.
     Family is where you start. As you get older, family becomes bigger as you add those friends who really are family too.  If we're lucky we can think of friends and family for whom we would drop everything. There is an unspoken bond, a reciprocity of  heart.
     When I look at the world it's easy to dwell on the negative.  There is strife, hunger and violence and these are real. But goodness is also real.  I believe we have a choice.  Edith Wharton said, "There are two ways of spreading light: Be the candle or the mirror that reflects it."  This holiday season I challenge you to think about ways to  improve your own community. Each soul brings its own unique light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment