Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Elk Are People Too

      Winter has come to the wilds of Utah. It was 4 F this bright morning.  Physics lab for my young lad begins at 6:45 AM, an unholy hour by most definitions.  We departed at 6:15 AM so my friend could practice his driving.  Excellent.  Nothing is quite as bracing as driving in the snow with your teenager. Once he was safely ensconced in physics lab, I made my way back home.  Much to my delight, the elk herd were munching away in a nearby field.  These creatures got me thinking. Elk have a lot in common with people.
Kindred spirits do improve the journey.


     Elk like to be with those who are like them.  They have horns and can get stuck on things.  They like to feel safe and run when threatened.  Most importantly, they have a majestic beauty all their own. Each elk has a slightly different coloration and antler pattern. People share all these characteristics.  We enjoy the company of those who are like us.  We fixate on problems and get stuck. We look for safe situations and are often afraid of straying from our safety zone. Finally, each soul reflects God's beauty in different ways.
Stepping out from the herd can be scary.
      Following Christ requires stepping out of the herd.  He calls us to uncomfortable places, geographically and emotionally.We are called to see beneath a prickly surface and see the soul beauty in others. It is very easy to love those like ourselves.  Yet Jesus challenges us: "If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? and if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others?" (Matthew:46-47)
     Christ's call is fresh for me each day. Impatience and judgement sneak up on me regularly. But we are here to grow, not to be perfect. I am encouraged by 2 Corinthians:12 "My grace is sufficient for you, my power is made perfect in weakness." I wish you a thoughtful Advent and blessings on your journey.
The herd is comfortable and gives you strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment