Thursday, December 5, 2013

The Light on the Porch

     It was -14 F this morning. Though it was painfully cold and painfully early, I set out to ferry my son to AP Physics lab. I stepped into the crunchy, snow laden yard and I realized I was not alone. I heard the noise of hoofs and the squeak of calls. I heard branches bending and I heard snouts snuffling. Deer?  The light from the porch gave me just enough back light to peer into the darkness.  Elk. Big elk. A large group of very big elk on my driveway!  I pushed the automatic opener on the barn door; they were spooked and trotted across the road.
God saw that the light was good and he separated the light from darkness.
     I have been studying the book of Exodus and it actually ties in nicely with my frosty wildlife experience.  God set many a plague upon Egypt. He punished the Egyptians to illustrate His power and dominion.  He spared the Israelites to show His faithfulness. The Lord made the Nile turn to blood, he sent frogs, locusts, revolting boils, razor sharp hail, unrelenting gnats, gruesome livestock diseases, darkness and the death of  firstborn Egyptian sons. While the scope of these plagues is impressive, there is one that stands out to me: darkness.
     I am struck by the sheer power of the metaphor. For me darkness symbolizes a world without the light and presence of God. True, the other plagues are full of physical agony, but a world without light is a world without hope. In Genesis the first day of creation is all about light.  Genesis 1:1-4  reads: "Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.  And God said, let there be light and there was light. God saw that the light was good and he separated the light from darkness."
     In the book of Exodus,  the plague of darkness precedes the deaths of the first born Egyptians. There is a parallel of darkness at the crucifixion, "from the sixth hour to the ninth hour darkness came over all the land." This darkness and, the accompanying earthquakes, terrified onlookers and caused them to exclaim," Surely he was the Son of God.". Jesus himself said, " I am the light of the world.Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." (John 8:12)
     When I stepped out into the cold, darkness this morning, I faced an unknown presence in the yard. But the porch light glowed softly right behind my back and I could see what I needed to see.  I wasn't afraid and in that moment, God whispered into my heart: "I have your back. I AM the light. I am faithful and I will equip you for unemployment, motherhood and yes, even elk." Sometimes a whisper is more convincing than a shout.  May you walk in the Light.

No comments:

Post a Comment