Thursday, December 26, 2013

What The Juggler Knew

     This is a wonderful time of year to catch old movies on TV. The other day I saw a short called "The Juggler of Our Lady." In the movie, a juggler, played by Boris Karloff, is saved from a severe snow storm by a group of French monks. The monks feed and shelter the visitor until the mountain pass is clear in the spring.
Painter Marc Chagall understood the beauty of juggling.
     During the winter, the monks spend their free time preparing gifts for the Blessed Mother. Some brothers carved candlesticks while others painted intricate icons. The juggler is touched and wants to give two of his beloved juggling pins as an offering. Some of the monks look down on the gift. The abbot kindly tells the juggler that they couldn't possibly accept the pins because they don't want to deny the man his livelihood.The abbot then invites the man to stay for the procession of the gifts before setting off on his journey. The juggler accepts.
     The festival day arrives and the camera shows a procession of gift bearing monks entering the chapel of our Lady. To their collective horror, the juggler is juggling in front of the Blessed Mother statue. Then suddenly, the abbot hits his knees and blesses himself. The statue has come alive and is reaching out benevolently to the juggler. The remaining monks kneel in awe.
     The juggler knew that we are all given different gifts. He knew he couldn't paint or carve or even sing. He knew that he could juggle and he juggled his best for the smiling Blessed Mother. In the movie Chariots of Fire, Eric Liddell says,"God Made me fast and when I run I feel His pleasure." When we are authentically ourselves, and not a copy of someone else, I do think it pleases the Lord.
     There have been times in my life when I've felt that I had nothing special to give. I don't think this is a failing on God's part. Rather I believe it to be smallness of vision and lack of gratitude on my part. Many times I have often taken my gifts for granted. I have wasted time coveting the gifts of others, rather than being grateful for my own.
     Every gift is equal in God's eyes: A fluffy biscuit, a soaring aria, the ability to bring laughter, a calming demeanor, a beautiful painting and yes, a superb juggler. It's not what we do, but what's in our hearts that makes all the difference. Oscar Wilde said, "Be yourself everyone else is taken." God specializes in variety and abundance. The holiday season is the perfect time to praise him with your best. He is worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment