Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Memory Keeper

     We all have gifts. One of mine is being very visual. When I was a little girl, I learned to spell by the shape of words, not by phonetics. Later in life I learned physiology by drawing pictures and flow charts. I illustrated my notes in nursing school to create mnemonics. I love puzzles and can find tiny details quickly. If something is lost, I can usually find it. If I meet someone I may forget their name but I don't forget their face. While all of these uses are quirky, and even useful, its my memory for events that makes me the family memory keeper.
      There have been times when my son and husband don't get along. My son will make a point of saying, "Dad did this or that and it made me angry." But as a memory keeper I can reply, "Yes, I get that you're annoyed but when you were a sick baby your Dad would sleep on the floor in your room just in case you needed him." That image comes right to the front of my mind when I think of my husband's goodness.

     When my husband says,"Teenagers are selfish," I agree, but I then I remember a time when my husband was deployed. I had an upset stomach and was laid out on the couch. My then 3 year old got a chair climbed on the kitchen counter and brought me ginger ale and crackers. I still remember asking him, "How did you do that?" "Got a chair," he said simply.
Consider how the lilies grow. (Luke 12:27)
      My paternal grandparents are long departed, but I remember their garden like I just left it. It was full of pear trees, pansies, tulips and the most gorgeous roses I have ever seen. It was the most glorious place for a child to play.  I filled a roasting pan with water and sailed a little boat. I was the happiest girl ever.
     Naturally a visual memory can be a burden too. I remember facial expressions, exchanges and events long after they are done. Herein lies the importance of framework. If I look at life as a work in progress, then the hurtful things don't have as much staying power. They are pieces of a mosaic, but not the whole work.
     The things we do while we're on earth matter. Each soul is here to improve and learn. The Lord is the the ultimate memory keeper and His memory is not colored by time or emotion. He will hold us accountable for unkind words spoken and kind deeds left undone. 
He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. (Jn 10:3)


Addison Road's song "My Story" speaks to this:

There's just too many times I only think of me
Cause I get so consumed with my opportunities
When my last breath brings me to the feet of God
I want to hear him say I lived for his glory


Each day is a chance to improve on the the previous one. Blessings on your journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment