Thursday, December 19, 2013

A Loan and A Perfect Gift

    "Your son is on the very seriously ill list," said the doctor. My son was born full term but with the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck. I sat up in bed the entire night. I watched the clock move from 12 midnight to 6 AM. I cried until my tears were gone and all I had left were gasps. How could God have me carry a my baby for 9 months only to lose him at birth? I turned this around in my mind all night. Around 4 AM, I had my answer: It was God's baby and he was on loan to me.


     The baby was gradually weaned off the respirator. When he was two weeks old, I held him for the first time. This early brush with death made every day of parenting a gift to me, even the rough ones. My son's birth and life have made me a better person and I am humbled by God's trust.
     As a mother, the Christmas season is a perfect time to meditate on the significance of the Christ child. The sacrifice of the firstborn is a recurring theme in the old testament. In Genesis 22 God instructs Abraham to sacrifice the life of his only son, Issac.  An angel stays his hand to prevent the sacrifice. In Exodus, the Israelites are spared when the first born sons of Egypt are struck down.
     In the New Testament, the Christ child parallels the old testament sacrifice of unblemished lambs. The only son of God is set apart as a sacrifice for all. I am stunned by the rich symbolism and reality, of sacrificing a first born son.
     At Christmas I remember Mary, the Blessed Mother. She was called by God and she said, "I am the Lord's servant (or handmaiden)". I am in awe of her enduring faith when I remember that she later witnessed her son's Crucifixion.
     Jesus lived as a man. He knew both joy and suffering. He was born in the most humble of circumstances; this was no accident because his kingdom is not of this world. His first guests were the shepherds and he IS the lamb of God. The wise men knew who he was because they were book smart AND heart wise.
     My son's birth changed my very ordinary life. Jesus' birth changed the very fabric of heaven and earth. Handel's Messiah states: "The kingdom of  this world is become the Kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ." The song "O Holy Night" says "He appeared and the soul felt its worth." May you feel your soul's worth this Christmas and be blessed by the light of His presence. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment