Sunday, December 29, 2013

Humble Pie





     My husband and I leave each other messages on a dry erase board. The other day we had a day of teenage angst and moodiness in our home. I found this message from my husband when I returned from running errands. I said, "I like it; I am not sure what it means." Not being a man of mystery, he replied, "It means just what it says." He was referring to my ability to handle our teen. After a good night's sleep, I had gathered the stamina for a frank, but kind, talk with our son.
     The fact that I could inspire humility in anyone is clearly a God thing. Those of  you who know me, understand what I mean. I am all about harmony, but only up to a point. I have an underlying conviction that I know better. I lose my patience with foolishness and I have been known to hound the Almighty with my opinion of how things SHOULD be.
     Yet, the Lord has a habit of using people's weaknesses for his greater purpose. 2 Corinthians 12:9 reads: " My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." The God of the universe is a God of contradictions. Noah was not keen on building the ark. Moses was one reluctant senior citizen when he led the Israelites out of Egypt. The Messiah took the form of a vulnerable baby born in a lowly setting.
     The Lord knows our weaknesses and our strengths. I know that one of my strengths is my love for my son. One of my weaknesses is impatience. With my son, I am more patient than I dreamed I could ever be. The context of love gives me the opportunity to work on my weakness.  It's a gift to practice patience with a dear one first, and then move outward to those unknown to me.

Isaiah 40:31 reminds me that:
 "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."


     Any parenting success that I enjoy is born of grace. The very same God who grants me the grace I request, uses me to inspire and help others. I am not humble or patient and yet I am a vessel of these teachings. This astounds me. He is the God of contradictions and miracles. There are no small miracles. May you trust in His grace in the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment